Asthma and Naturo-Food Therapy
5. In general, the natural way to treat asthma consists of stimulating the functioning of sluggish excretory organs (like kidneys, liver, skin); adopting appropriate diet patterns to eliminate morbid matter; and practicing yogic breathing exercises to permit proper assimilation of food and to strengthen the lungs, digestive system and circulatory organs. Eating the right natural foods can alleviate or prevent asthma attacks by helping control underlying inflammation of air-passages, dilating air-passages, thinning down mucus in the lungs and preventing food and other allergy reactions that trigger asthma attacks.
6. Suitable Diet – The diet should contain liberal quantity of alkaline whole foods consisting of wholegrains; plenty of fresh fruits and raw or steamed vegetables and their juices; germinated cereals, pulses and grains (sprouts); a handful of nuts and seeds like almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds; and digestive anti-inflammatory herbs and spices like ginger, garlic, onions, green peppers, black pepper, cumin seeds, cinnamon and a limited quantity of acid forming foods like carbohydrates, fats and proteins.
7. Foods to Avoid – Polished rice, sugar, lentils and curds which produce phlegm; processed, refined and fried foods like pizzas, burgers, noodles, crisps, biscuits etc.; packaged and tinned foods and drinks with harmful chemical additives and preservatives; sour foods like pickles, hot chillies, synthetic vinegars; excessive tea, coffee and alcohol; chilled foods from the refrigerator; excessive intake of meat and dairy products.
Asthma and Breathing Exercises
8. Lung Functions – Two main breathing functions of the lungs are (i) to take in oxygen from the air you breathe into the cells of the body; and (ii) to get rid of the waste product – carbon dioxide and toxins
9. Asthmatic Person and Breathing – The tendency by all, especially asthmatic persons, is to breathe mostly and quickly from the upper part of the chest rather than the whole chest down to the abdomen. Asthmatic person should concentrate on