and mucus solvent. To make this, dice a few garlic cloves and cover with one teaspoon of honey, allow to sit for 4-8 hours, then mash and strain. ¼ to ½ teaspoon 2-3 times a day or more can be taken in acute episodes of asthma.
24. Turmeric (Haldi) – This antioxidant is a powerful anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic and anti-bacterial agent which protects the lungs from pollution and toxins and is an effective remedy for bronchial asthma. Turmeric alleviates colds, infections and indigestion. (i) Asthmatics should take a teaspoon of turmeric powder with a glass of milk 2-3 times daily including once on empty stomach in the morning. This will also relieve cough and cold and decongest sinuses; (ii) 4-5 grams of turmeric powder with purified butter (ghee) in a large glass of warm water is traditionally used to treat imminent asthma attack; (iii) Turmeric powder taken with fresh garlic is a very good remedy for bronchitis and other pulmonary infections.
25. Liquorice (Mulathee) – This is helpful in treating chest infections, colds and coughs (both dry as well as productive) and irritable condition of bronchial tubes. (i) Put ½ to 1 teaspoon of liquorice powder in a cup of water. Bring it to boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Drink this three times a day; (ii) Liquorice sticks can be chewed in the mouth for soothing the throat and air passages.
26. Basil (Tulsi) – (i) The juice of basil leaves with honey will be helpful in persistent cough and bronchitis by removing phlegm and acting as expectorant; (ii) To prevent colds and coughs and for general health, take five leaves of basil daily.
27. Caraway Seeds (Ajwain) – (i) For digestive and respiratory ailments, one teaspoon of crushed seeds boiled in a cup of water for 5-10 minutes should be drunk three times a day; (ii) The steam from the boiling water with caraway seeds will dilate the bronchial passages of asthmatics.
28. Black Pepper – Has antioxidant and anti-bacterial properties and is helpful in common cold and cough. (i) For common cold, ½ teaspoon of pepper powder can be boiled in a glass of milk and drunk at bedtime. (ii) For dry cough take 3-4 freshly ground pepper corns with some crystalised sugar (mishri) and purified butter (ghee) in