Late Gurkirpal Kaur Goindi (Obituary)
GURKIRPAL KAUR GOINDI B.A.; B.Ed; DPE; ND (DOB -25.01.1932)
1. Dr.(Mrs.) Gurkirpal Kaur Goindi was born on 25.01.1932 and left for her heavenly abode after a very saintly and peaceful death on 16.12.2014.
2. After her graduation (B.A.) from Panjab University in 1951, she obtained a Diploma in Physical Education (DPE) from Punjab Education Department in 1952. She qualified as a teacher (B.Ed.) from Delhi University in 1954 and started her career as a teacher in Physical Education.
3. During her schooling, she became a pioneer in mastering Indian Martial Art, known as “Gatka” in Punjab at the age of 15 years. She joined Theosophical Society while still a teenager and became the President of the Youth Wing in Delhi in the mid-fifties. She was commissioned as NCC Officer amongst the few girls in India opting for military training, in the early years of India’s freedom from British Rule.
4. Mrs. Goindi turned a staunch Gandhian given to non-violence and other Gandhian tenets after her marriage with Dr. Satyendra Singh Goindi who belonged to a devout Gandhian family. Mrs. Goindi’s father-in-law, S. Bhagwan Singh Goindi was popularly known as “Sialkot Gandhi”.
5. In 1968, Mrs. Goindi fell seriously ill because of severe osteoarthritis, asthma, anaemia and digestive disorders that led to severe bleeding from both her lungs and general debility. In 1969 doctors at AIIMS, Delhi had said that her osteoarthritis was beyond treatment. In 1971 doctors at Allahabad hospital had pronounced that due to her various ailments and failing health she would not live beyond 4 to 5 days.